instructor giving lecture to group of students
Home › Admissions & Financial Aid › International Students › Maintaining F-1 Status

Maintaining F-1 Status

Student Services provides guidelines for students that hold an F-1 International Student status to maintain their current F-1 status:

• Keep your passport valid for at least six months into the future at all times.

• Maintain a valid I-20: have your I-20 updated by Student Services if you have changes such as your major, change of name, and/or completion of degree date.

• Enroll in a full PAU course load every quarter. Full time for undergraduates is 12 units per quarter. Full time for graduates is a minimum 9 units per quarter, except during practicum and internship.

• F-1 status students are not permitted to work on or off campus without appropriate authorization from Student Services and the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) as required.

• Contact Student Services if you need to transfer your I-20 to another institution, extend your program or if you have a new address.

• Have your passport and I-20 checked by Student Services before traveling internationally.

• There are no federal regulatory insurance requirements for F-1 students, however PAU policy mandates that all students be enrolled in a medical insurance plan.  See information on PAU's Student Health Insurance Program.



1791 Arastradero Road
Palo Alto, CA 94304

Phone: (800) 818-6136 Fax: (650) 433-3888





Twitter Icon Facebook Icon LinkedIn icon YouTube icon Tintup icon