two smiling students
Home › Admissions & Financial Aid › International Students › Living in the U.S.

Living in the U.S.

Resources for students living in the U.S. attending Palo Alto University (PAU).

California Driver’s License Information

If you want to apply for California Driver’s License or ID you need to bring your I-20, I-94 and passport to the local Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) see addresses below. To apply for a driver's license you will need to take a vision test, a written test on California driving laws, and an in car driving test. If you have just arrived in the United States you will need to wait at least 10 days to allow time for DMV to see your activated SEVIS record.

If you want to avoid a long wait, it is highly recommended to make an appointment online. Two bay area DMV offices are:

300 Brewster Avenue
Redwood City, CA 94063
(800) 777-0133

3665 Flora Vista Avenue
Santa Clara, CA 95051

Social Security Number Information

F-1 students who are eligible to work on-campus and have on-campus jobs are eligible for Social Security Numbers. F-1 students who have been approved for Optional Practical Training or Curricular Practical Training, are also eligible to apply for a Social Security Number. You must provide your passport, I-20, I-94 card and employer letter. The two closest Social Security offices to PAU are:

700 East El Camino Real
Mountain View, CA 94040
(877) 319-0161

601 Allerton Street
Redwood City, CA 94063
(800) 772-1213

Travel and Re-Entry

To re/enter the U.S. you must present the following documents:

•   Passport valid up to 6 months in the future

•   Valid F-1 visa

•    I-20 (travel signature on page 3 must be dated no later than 6 months)

Students on post completion Optional Practical Training must also present:

•  Valid Employment Authorization Document (EAD)

•  Letter from Employer on company letterhead, dated and signed by your supervisor.