Military Dependents and Spouses

Transfer of Post-9/11 GI Bill Benefits to Dependents (TEB)

A special provision of the new Post-9/11 GI Bill offers education benefits for the spouses and children of service members and veterans. Eligibility to transfer benefits is determined by the Department of Defense while the payment of benefits is handled by the Department of Veterans Affairs. Under the new law the Department of Defense is authorized to allow individuals who have served at least 6 years in the Armed Forces and who agree to serve at least another 4 years to transfer unused GI Bill entitlement to their spouse. In addition, when a service member reaches their 10-year anniversary they can choose to transfer the benefit to any dependents – spouse or children.

Eligibility Criteria for TEB

How to Apply for Transfers of Benefits

First you must go to the DoD transferability application website to determine if your dependents are eligible to receive the transferred benefits. This website is only available to military members.

Approved Transfers of Benefits

Upon approval, family members may apply to use transferred benefits with the VA by completed VA Form 22-1990e. Do not use VA Form 22-1990e to apply for TEB. VA Form 22-1990e should only be completed and submitted to the VA by the family member after the DoD has approved the request for TEB.

Created by potrace 1.15, written by Peter Selinger 2001-2017