M.A. Counseling: Online and On-Campus Options
Areas of Emphasis:
-Marriage, Family, and Child
-Clinical Mental Health
Palo Alto · San Mateo · Monterey Bay · Online
Palo Alto University offers you access to an excellent education for licensure as a Marriage and Family Therapist (MFT) or Mental Health Counselor (LPCC) without uprooting your life. Our online and on-campus formats give students maximum flexibility to complete a master's degree in counseling while working, raising a family, or managing the many responsibilities of their lives.
Pursue Your Dreams Wherever You May Be
- On Campus Blended format. On-campus students attend approximately two classes per quarter at one of our Northern California locations and one class per quarter online.
- Online with One-Week Residential format. This format enables you to take all classes online and do your internships locally, in your home community. You attend a one-week summer residency at our Palo Alto campus. The residency is an opportunity to meet professors and classmates face-to-face. It includes intensive study and competency based skill training and culminates in a clinical competency examination that is a prerequisite for clinical fieldwork.
- Global Online format. This format was designed for students who live and plan to practice outside the U.S. Palo Alto University's Global Advancement of Counseling Excellence initiative has well-established partnerships in several countries as well as contacts on all seven continents. Students enrolled in this program complete all coursework online and do all internships and clinical fieldwork in their home country.
Flexible Start Dates and Scheduling
You can begin an online program in any quarter: Fall (September), Winter (January), Spring (April), or Summer (June). Each quarter, an online orientation is held for incoming students. This orientation is required so that students can learn the foundations of the online program before classes begin
On-campus cohorts are enrolled Fall or Winter quarter only.
You can enroll either part-time or full-time, and the program can be completed in a little over two years as long as your desired fieldwork placement can be secured.
Our Virtual Classroom Supports Every Aspect of Your Learning Experience.
- Palo Alto University utilizes an online learning platform that supports all aspects of a student’s learning experience.
- Classes include real-time lecture and dialog, discussion boards and clinical skills training enabled by multimedia technology.
- Online classes give you the opportunity to interact with a global student body and learn clinical skills through real-time interaction with instructors.
Field Placements in Your Home Region Help Establish You in Your Community.
- Palo Alto University assists you in finding suitable practicum placements in your community.
- We provide ongoing support throughout your practicum, and guidance about licensing requirements in your state or country.
- Supervision takes place at your field placement site and from Palo Alto University faculty online.
- For students outside the U.S. our Global Advancement of Counseling Excellence initiative provides culturally relevant clinical training and supervision that meets international standards of excellence.
Get the Best of Both Worlds.
Staying local while participating in a global Master’s degree program gives you the best of both worlds: global perspective with local roots. Palo Alto University offers you a unique multicultural focus that emphasizes culture, social justice and families. You benefit from the latest academic research and clinical approaches while tailoring your experience to the culture and community in which you live and practice.